This is a post I’ve been meaning to do for a long, long time! I made this tart when I was in Italy at the beginning of the month, and I’ve been super-mega-psyched to post up the pictures and write about it ever since. The recipe was inspired by, and indeed uses, the abundance of almonds that were in the garden at the time and is completely from my own brain (always nicer when something you’ve made up yourself goes well, I think). Imagine that sinking feeling when I got back home, fired up my laptop and reached for the camera…which was still in Italy with my parents. Either I had to wait TWO WEEKS for them to get back home and deliver me the pictures, or I could just use the two that mother had managed to send me using the miracle of internets. And being incredibly impatient I decided just to use the two I have 😛 I’ll update in a couple of weeks with some more, and maybe some sunny pictures of south Italy 🙂
The recipe is entirely gluten-free and lactose-free. I did struggle with the pastry on the bottom a bit, it was delicious of course…but was rather, um, solid. Needed some slight tweaking! I’ve had another go at home and have decided the key is not to blind bake it for so long. Second times a charm ;).
I managed to do this entire thing without an electric whisk or proper scales (kudos to me :P) so its also perfect for making away from home! So without further ado…
Peach Amaretti Tart (GF, LF)
*Just a quick side note, I love love love almond flavour: marzipan, amaretto, bakewell tart, can’t get enough! So you may want to tone back the almond extract a little to taste*
- 170g ground almonds
- 150g light brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 100g caster sugar
- 140g Stork (or other margarine/dairy-free butter)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 200g ground almonds
- 3 good-sized peaches
- Couple of tablespoons of chopped almonds
- Pastry: Preheat the oven to 165°C and grease a 9inch tart tin (I can thoroughly recommend the loose-bottomed type)
- Mix the almonds, sugar, egg, almond extract, salt and spice together (it doesn’t come together into a nice dough unfortunately)
- Using wet hands, spread onto the tart tin and press down until evenly distributed, and almost looking like normal pastry
- Bake for 10 minutes, take out and press down any puffy bits (careful, it’s hot!)
- Bake for another couple of minutes, don’t be tempted to overcook at this stage, it will get firmer as it cools
- Increase the temperature to 200°C (180°C fan).
- Filling: Using an electric whisk, or a wooden spoon and a whisk, mix together the sugar and butter into a pale paste
- Beat in the eggs, add the ground almonds and mix
- Spoon into the pastry case and flatten
- Cut the peaches into slices, I got about 12 out of each peach, and arrange as you please, making sure to place them fairly even distances apart
- Bake for 20 minutes, sprinkle the ground almonds on top, and continue baking for another 10-20 minutes, until evenly browned and smellin’ fiiiiiine.
A couple of extra pictures to show off!